Wednesday, 30 November 2011

And so it starts...

I guess my story is much like many others...  A simple click on ebay and I've purchased something I didn't need and wonder if I really want!  The item in question is a 1978 Sherpa campervan.  To be more accurate, its a pile of rust that used to be a Sherpa!

Picking up the van was in itself a mini adventure.  The 180 mile train journey went almost to plan (although I'll never understand the London underground system!).  When I arrived at the sellers house the vans battery was flat, so a new one was picked up from a local motor factors and I was on my way.  Unfortunately the wipers weren't working (unfortunate because it started raining!). After 20 miles I stopped for fuel, and the van wouldn't restart!  An hour later the bloke from the RAC arrived and diagnosed a dodgy connection on the coil, so quickly got the van restarted, and whilst he was there he sorted the wipers (he hit the wiper motor repeatedly with a hammer!).  With a running engine and working wipers I hit the road.  A steady 60mph was comfortable (if a little noisy!) on the motorway and the rain just kept on falling.  Annoyingly, 6 miles from home the battery gave up and I coasted to a halt, so had to be towed home. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment